Animal, the 2023 Hindi-language action drama film directed by a Telugu screenwriter, Sandeep Reddy Vanga, has been making rounds on the Internet following its release. The film, which starred all-time prominent actors Ranbir Kapoor, Rashmika Mandanna, Anil Kapoor, Bobby Deol, and Tripti Damri, has come out as one of the most successful Indian films with massive money-making projects. Hence, if you are planning to watch Animal; but however, not sure about its reviews, box-office collection, and OTT platform, read this guide to get an easy insight.
With an early announcement in 2021, the film was initially planned to be released on 11 August 2023; however, was postponed owing to post-production work. Later, Animal release dates were shifted to 1 December 2023 and were released in Hindi, Telugu, Tamil, Malayalam, and Kannada languages.
Although the Hindi-language film has topped the list of the most successful Indian movies, critics have something different to say. According to the famous American Review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes “Top Critics”, the movie’s plot has repeatedly been termed as “misogynist.”
Anupama Chopra, a famous Indian author, journalist, and certified film critic commented about the movie “A story which is cheerfully misogynistic, morally bankrupt and stomach-churningly violent. All of which I could have endured if the drama and emotions had held.”
Nevertheless, besides its violent and misogynist plot, the film garnered appreciation for Ranbir Kapoor and Bobby Deol’s exceptional acting, according to reviews.
Animal: Box Office Collection
Despite being continuously termed as a “misogynistic and violent film” the film did some serious business due to an action-packed plot and served with some of the best songs of the year. Hence, besides surrounding itself with negative critics, the film held records like the highest non-holiday opening, biggest single days, highest weekend opening, and highest opening week in India.
As of Jan. 2024, Animal Movie went on to collect INR 896.61 Crores (US $110 million) worldwide while counting itself as a major commercial success. Not only this, but the film made several records like the third-highest-grossing Indian film of 2023, the fifth-highest-grossing Hindi film, the ninth-highest-grossing Indian film, and the highest-grossing A-rated Indian film.
The Animal movie cast includes,
- Ranbir Kapoor in a dual role as Ranvijay Balbir Singh and Aziz Haque
- Anil Kapoor in a dual role as Balbir Singh and Kailash Petkar
- Bobby Deol as Abrar Haque
- Rashmika Mandanna as Geetanjali ‘Gitu’ Singh, Vijay’s wife
- Tripti Dimri as Zoya Riaz
- Charu Shankar as Jyoti Singh
- Babloo Prithiveeraj as Asrar Haque, Abrar’s brother
- Shakti Kapoor as PK Mishra
- Prem Chopra as Dalbir Dodamal Singh
- Madhu Raja as Rani Kaur “Beeji”, Dalbir Singh’s wife
- Suresh Oberoi as Rajdheer Dodamal Singh
- Saurabh Sachdeva as Abid Haque, Abrar’s brother
- Saloni Batra as Reet Singh
- Anshul Chauhan as Roop Singh
- Siddhant Karnick as Varun Pratap Malhotra
- Maganti Srinath as Karthik, Geetanjali’s elder brother and Vijay’s friend
- Upendra Limaye as Freddy Wilfred Patil
- Mathew Varghese as Shreepad Balaji Iyengar
- Indira Krishnan as Motika S. Iyengar, Karthik and Geetanjali’s mother
- Mrinmayee Godbole as Dr Amrita Naidoo
- Ahmad Ibn Umar as young Vijay
- Leon Ung as young Abrar
- Diyara Valecha as young Geetanjali
- Eva Chibber as young Roop
- Neeven Vaid as young Reet
Animal: OTT Platform
According to the media report, Animal is all set to make its digital debut on Netflix on 26 January 2023. Nevertheless, the news has neither been confirmed nor denied by the OTT giant.
Besides, media reports also suggest that Netflix will get a pre-cut version of Animal which will be a few minutes longer than the theatrical version which was 3 Hours 21 Minutes.