Meet Zerodha’s Founder Nikhil Kamath, The Billionaire Who Gained Success Due to a Bold Entrepreneurial Vision and Not to a Hyphenated Surname!
Nikhil Kamath is an Indian entrepreneur, stockbroker, and columnist at the Indian Express. He co-founded Zerodha, the largest stock brokerage firm in India. Famous among the successful Indian entrepreneurs, Nikhil has been acknowledged for his achievements and influence in the entrepreneurial business. Nikhil is known as India’s one of the youngest Billionaires. In this article, learn about the success story of Nikhil and how he made Billions at an early age.
A Billionaire Nikhil, is a High School Dropout
Nikhil Kamath was born on 5 September 1986 (age 37 years; as of 2023) in Shimoga, Karnataka. Owing to Nikhil’s father, U.R. Kamath’s transferable job, he got the opportunity to visit various cities in India. Meanwhile, Nikhil’s mother Revathi, is a musician, who initially used to teach him Veena.
During Nikhil’s childhood, he was not keen on attending school. Having a business instinct, Nikhil used to sell used mobile phones during high school. Owing to his absence from school, the authority threatened his parents about restricting Nikhil from appearing in board exams. As a result, his mother Revathi flushed all of his mobile phones. Nevertheless, this didn’t stop Nikhil; hence, he dropped out of school in 8th grade.
Nikhil Kamath’s Career
Working in Call Centre at 17
- Soon after dropping out of high school, Nikhil decided to move out of his home and work independently. So, in mere adolescence, he left his home and moved in with his former girlfriend. At 17, he gained a job at a call centre where he used to work a shift timing of 4 pm to 1 am. On top of that, Nikhil faked his birth certificate in order to get a job that paid him INR 8000/month.
- The call centre job and moving away from the family ecosystem assisted Nikhil in working on different things. He tried his luck in trading and eventually succeeded in it.
- Later on, Nikhil assisted his call centre colleagues to invest in trading and earn money from it. As a result, Nikhil only did his call centre job minimally, and his colleagues would mark him present because he was already assisting them in earning money.
The Foundation of Zerodha
- Initially, Nikhil Kamath also worked for Indiabulls Securities. He used to manage clients’ money in the firm. Surprisingly, Nikhil with no formal education, was paid INR 50,000 for the job.
- With his clients’ manager job, he started focusing on the bigger goals. And, as a result, in 2010, Nikhil and his brother Nithin Kamath, founded Zerodha.
- Now, after years, Zerodha has established itself as India’s biggest stockbroker and financial service company.
- Founded in 2010, Zerodha has established itself at a value of $2 billion (approximately).
What is the net worth of Nikhil Kamath?
The foundation of Zerodha with no formal education led Nikhil to gain the position of one of the most influential billionaires. Now, Nikhil stands with a staggering real-time net worth of $2.7 billion, which in INR is 223 Billion (approximately).
Nikhil Kamath’s Massive Take-Home Salary
Nikhil, one of India’s youngest billionaires, earns an impressive salary that may come as a surprise to you. As of 2023, he has an annual salary of INR 100 crores. With it, he gets a basic salary of INR 4.16 Crores/month. Breaking his monthly salary and other inclusions, we can conclude that the self-made billionaire makes INR 27 Lakhs/day. Isn’t it flabbergasting enough?
Zerodha’s Founder Style Quotient: Impressive Cars and Whatnot?
It is believed that Nikhil owns numerous high-end cars. Meanwhile, during an interaction, he shared his love for driving an Audi or Porsche. Moreover, he owns a Black Audi A6 and Porsche Boxster S.
Although the price is unknown, Nikhil and his family reside in an ultra-lavish apartment. In addition to it, The Kamath house is a 7,000 sq. feet property located in Bengaluru’s most posh area.
Nikhil Kamath’s Awards and Achievements
- Emerging Entrepreneur Award by The Confederation of Indian Industry
- The Emerging Brokerage Firm of the Year Award by BSE & Dun & Bradstreet
- 2015 – The Emerging Brokerage Firm of the Year Award by BSE & Dun & Bradstreet
- Top 10 Businessmen to watch out for.
- Ranked in the List of Forbes India 30 Under 30 by the Forbes India
- The Bootstrap Startup of the Year Awards by the Economic Times
- Startup Category Award
- Economic Time under 40 Award by Economic Times
- 2018 – Young Entrepreneur Award
- 2019 – The Retail Brokerage Firm of the Year
- 2020 – Zerodha Topped the IIFL Wealth Hurnan India 40 & Under Self-made Rich List.
- 2022 – Rainmatter Got the Best Fintech Ecosystem Partner Award IFTA
Nikhil Kamath’s Personal Life: From Divorce to Now Dating Miss World
Nikhil often makes headlines for his successful ventures, Zerodha, and how its establishment influenced the masses towards trading. Besides, he also gains media attention for his love life.
Nikhil was just 17 when he was dating a woman and was even in a live-in relationship with her. Nevertheless, we don’t have much information about her. In 2019, Nikhil married the businesswoman, Amanda Puruvankara. However, the ex-couple got divorced within a year of marriage.
Now, Kamath is dating the much coveted former Miss World and actress, Manushi Chillar. Although the couple decided to keep their relationship away from media attention, they are often spotted vacationing together. Moreover, the couple is also said to be enjoying a live-in relationship.
Nikhil Kamath, A Watch Intrigue
Nikhil is fond of collecting watches. His collection includes a Panerai Radiomir he purchased in Italy two years ago; a Le Coultre from 1920; a Franck Muller Cintrée Curvex, 1998; and a Rolex Day-Date on a President bracelet, 1990. Besides, Nikhil’s most treasured watch is an FP Journe Octa Lune. The fact about the watch is that it was probably on someone’s wrist during World War 2. Isn’t it fascinating?
Do You Know These Lesser Known Facts About The Zerodha’s Founder Nikhil Kamath?
- Nikhil was just 14 when he decided to drop his education. Nevertheless, education couldn’t stop him and he is now India’s most influential self-made billionaire.
- Kamath follows a non-vegetarian diet. Meanwhile, he likes having chicken dishes in his meals.
- Experts say that smoking may contribute to impairments in functioning through reductions in motivation. But, it remains an exception in the case of Nikhil Kamath as Nikhil likes to smoke cigarettes. Moreover, a reporter mentioned how Nikhil liked smoking electronic cigarettes during his interaction.
- Nikhil Kamath follows Hinduism. Besides, he is Gaud Saraswat Brahmin.
- In his leisure time, Kamath likes to play guitar and paint.
- Nikhil is fond of tattoos. He has a tattoo on his left wrist that reads ‘Shalom’ and a tattoo on his right arm that reads ‘Be Here Now.’
1. What is the net worth of Zerodha’s founder Nikhil Kamath?
Nikhil stands with a staggering real-time net worth of $2.7 billion, which in INR is 223 Billion (approximately).
2. Who is Nikhil Kamath’s wife?
In 2019, Nikhil married the businesswoman, Amanda Puruvankara. The former couple ended their marriage within a year and as of 2023, Nikhil Kamath remains unmarried.
3. What is the age of Nikhil Kamath?
Nikhil Kamath was born on 5 September 1986 (age 37 years; as of 2023) in Shimoga, Karnataka.
4. Who is the brother of Nikhil Kamath?
Nikhil’s brother, Nithin Kamath, is the co-founder of Zerodha.